The UK Higher Education System sector uses the concept of credits. There are recognized credit requirements to gain awards. Masters degrees typically require 180 credits and undergraduate degrees (BA, BSc) need 360 credits. The average student is expected to take 10 hours to study one credit. This includes:
- Working through the online material;
- Reading and research pertinent to material covered in class;
- Attending online class sessions;
- Preparing for an assignment;
- And undertaking the assessment.
A typical 20 credit module therefore represents 200 hours activity for the average student and a 30 credit module 300 hours.